Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Last Meal

NYC restaurants come and go, much like Mariah Carey's mustache in "Precious" and Lindsay Lohan's addictions in real life. (Well, actually, maybe the latter never really "go", they just sort of mutate.) And though I'd be hard pressed to tell you what my favorite restaurant is, I'm never at a loss for my favorite dishes. So here we go, in no particular order: these are some of my favorite dishes from restaurants big and small. No doubt this list will need to be updated again, maybe when Mariah grows a beard.

LA ESQUINATortilla Soup this soup is thicker and less limey than your average tortilla soup. It has plenty of shredded chicken and adobo and, unlike most, the tortillas are always crunchy. There will definitely be a blog about this in the future.
RAOUL'S: Frisee Lardons: you want the Lardons? You can't handle the Lardons. But for once, it is not just the bacon that makes this densely packed frisee salad stand out. The two dressings are amazing and the blanched, toasted pistachios add both texture and taste. Without a doubt this Frisee puts all others to shame.
BALTHAZAR: French Fries: While some of you are rolling your eyes, I will be stealing your fries. These double fried, well salted, skinny fries are the best I've had short of Thomas Keller's at Bouchon and...
SPOTTED PIG: French Fries: I feel like a kid at an Easter Egg hunt when I get a side of these super-fine fries. They are fried with small slices of garlic and rosemary leaves which may be the best part of the fries.
MAIALINO: Porchetta Sandwich: This is a new addition and will likely be responsible for several inches of fat on my thighs. I'm not quite sure how to describe this delicious porky wonder other than the fact that the pork is all at once salty, creamy and garlicky. And hey! Don't judge a Porchetta by its pricetag, because this sandwich is worth way more than $10.
AROMA KITCHEN and WINE BAR: Calamari: Fried calamari is the food equivalent of Ked Sneakers and tie dye. So yesterday. And you could play a good set of handball with the grilled calamari at most places. But you won't want to throw the calamari at Aroma against a concrete wall. This perfectly cooked calamari is stuffed with a soft, bread based stuffing replete with almonds that add a crunch.
FATTY CRAB: Chicken Rice: Despite the fact that I am Asian, I hate rice. Yeah, yeah. I've heard it all. "Thank goodness you're not still in Asia, or you would have starved." So it was with tremendous skepticism that I put Fatty Crab's Chicken Rice in my mouth at all. But one taste and the rice seemed to be inconsequential next to the rich chicken flavor... without a chunk o' meat in sight. So maybe I do like this rice... but I'd probably still starve in Asian according to some people.
MINETTA TAVERN: Black Label Burger: No doubt you have read other blogs about the "$26 dollar burger" or the "burger that's not really a burger, but more of a steak". That's like saying that Chanel Haute Couture isn't really clothing just because the majority of  us can't fit into it or afford it. It's still clothing. And this is still a burger. Made out of a secret blend of Pat LaFrieda beef, this magical burger is set on a dense half-brioche Balthazar roll and served with slowly sauteed onions. No there is no cheese. Yes, you may get dirty looks if you ask for cheese. But do me a favor, the first time you try it, get it without the cheese. Come on. You can do it. You'll see that adding cheese to your first Black Label is like adding salt to Thomas Keller's food without tasting it first

No comments:

Post a Comment